My five-month old grandson, AKA Tigger or Mr BoingBoing, has loved to bounce from the get-go. Even when he was in utero, my daugher remembers how the sonography technician ended up sighing when she visited, because the baby was so mobile that it was hard to get a measurement. Later on, the mom-to-be said that although the baby book bore the reminder to make sure that the baby moved each day, she never had to bother to check.
“I hope he learns how to sit for half an hour by the time school starts,” I mentioned, with ADHD concerns hanging unspoken in the air.
“He does have a great attention span. I just hope he starts sleeping better soon,” added the proud but perennially tired mom.
“There are some children that never do sleep much.”
“But I don’t want one of those …” The idea of spending the next decade or more taking turns sleeping was almost too much to contemplate.
“No one ever does!”
Thankfully, the lad loves his doorway bouncer. Not only has his bouncy seat just been retired because he can he roll over and out of it, he’s even started getting on his hands and knees.
In my familial role as Bouncy Lady, I put together an iTunes playlist of “Music to Bounce By” for bouncing him on our knees, as babies love music, it’s generally more entertaining for all, and slightly less tiring for the adult if they don’t have to sing. We want to expose him to a variety of music. Right now, “Wipe Out” by the Ventures is a favorite. (I’ve included links to a couple of pieces that are not well known, but are worth checking out.)
- Good Vibrations The Beach Boys
- Ticket To Ride The Beatles
- Will It Go Round in Circles Billy Preston
- That’l Be The Day Buddy Holly & The Crickets
- Superstition Stevie Wonder
- Working In The Coal Mine Devo
- Satin Doll Duke Ellington and His Orchestra
- Crocodile Rock Elton John
- Think Aretha Franklin
- Sing, Sing, Sing Benny Goodman
- Mouse Jigs Flook
- Barracuda Heart
- Tijuana Taxi Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass
- Immigrant Song Led Zeppelin
- Dancing On The Ceiling Lionel Richie
- Another One Bites The Dust Queen
- Burning Down the House Talking Heads
- Shake Your Tailfeather Ray Charles
- Four Sticks Sones de Mexico Ensemble
- Pride And Joy Stevie Ray Vaughan
- Wipe Out The Ventures
- Hawaii Five-O The Ventures
- Linus And Lucy Vince Guaraldi
Every few songs we have something a bit less frenetic, to keep from getting too fatigued. And of course, we never get through the whole list in one pass; just a few songs at a time.
At least there’s one thing that he’ll sit still for: watching Star Trek! But that’s a story for another day …